In the US, children from fatherless homes account for:
- 63% of youth suicides (Source: US Dept of Health and Human Services, Bureau of Census)
- 71% of pregnant teenagers (Source: US Dept of Health and Human Services)
- 90% of all homeless and runaway children
- 70% of juveniles in state-operated institutions come from fatherless homes (Source: US Dept of Justice, Special Report, Sept. 1988)
- 85% of all children that exhibit behavioural disorders (Source: Centre for Disease Control)
- 80% of rapists motivated with displaced anger (Source: Criminal Justice and Behaviour, Vol 14, p 403-26, 1978).
- 71% of all high school dropouts (Source: National Principals Association Report on the State of High Schools)
- 75% of all adolescent patients in chemical abuse centres (Source: Rainbows for All God’s Children)
- 85% of all youth sitting in prisons (Source: Fulton Co. Georgia, Jail Populations, Texas Dept. of Corrections 1992)
Happy Father’s Day to all the wonderful fathers and father figures out there! You help make our children strong.
You don’t have to be a biological father to make an impact in a child’s life. Sometimes the strongest male role models are not our “father”. To all those men, a special note of thanks.